On July 10th, New York State Attorney General Letitia James announced the recipients of $9 million in grants to address the growing statewide issue of “zombie homes” – vacant or abandoned homes that are not maintained during a prolonged foreclosure proceeding.
Per the press release the following are potential usages for the funds.
- Improve data collection and analysis to track vacant and abandoned properties;
- Invest in new technology to better collect and analyze data to address the collective impact of vacant properties on neighborhoods;
- Create “Zombie Coordinators” and Taskforces to coordinate code enforcement activities and resources;
- Boost capacity of code enforcement and legal departments to enforce relevant laws to hold lienholders accountable or seek remedies to improve housing quality; and,
- Connect at-risk homeowners to foreclosure prevention resources.
To view the Press Release in its entirety, please click here.
To view some of the local coverage, please click on the following links: